If you are investing in junior mining companies, sometimes it’s best to let the majors do the due diligence for you in selecting the better ones. Their expert teams take a very close look at the exploration data of the junior mining company’s project and will determine if in fact they may have what it takes to develop into a mine.
Major mining companies are not risk takers like juniors, so if they end up investing millions of dollars in a junior you can pretty well count on that the junior has removed a good deal of risk from the project along with the risk of investing.
This video shows some of the things that majors look for in selecting juniors to invest in or jv with.
Here are a few of the juniors in the Yukon that the majors have selected as top choice.
- May 2016: Goldcorp buys Kaminak Gold for $520 million
- June 2016: Goldcorp invests $2 million for 19.9% of Independence Gold
- December 2016: Agnico Eagle pays $14.5 million for 19% of White Gold
- March 2017: Newmont signs property earn-in with Goldstrike worth as much as $53 million
- March 2017: Goldcorp pays $6.3 million for 19.9% of Triumph Gold
- March 2017: Coeur puts $2.7 million into Rockhaven
- April 2017: Barrick signs property earn-in and strategic investment deal with ATAC worth as much as $63 million